Do just a little bit of research into preparing your vehicle for the winter months and you will see dozens of articles filled with tips on how to get ready for the coming season. When you live in an area where the weather changes drastically from one season to the next, it is important to know how to make changes that will provide you with a safety advantage out on the road. Increase precipitation, black ice, heavy snow fall, slushy streets – if you are new to driving in New England, it is important to do all you can to be prepared.
LaCava Brothers Auto Supply in Fall River has a wide range of parts and services that you can use to your advantage. Need new brakes? Ask how our rotor turning services might be able to help you save money. Need parts and accessories? Visit our Bedford Street location to see our wide selection of Fall River, MA car parts and accessories at LaCava Auto Parts.
First Things First
When you start to gather materials to help you prepare your vehicle for winter in Fall River, it is important to start with the most important areas first. In Southeastern Massachusetts, winter weather can be upon us at any time, regardless of what the calendar tries to say. You need to prepare your vehicle for winter driving according to the worst weather that you can expect to receive in your area. Remember all that snow we got last year? You should prepare for that – and more – just to be safe.
- Anti-Freeze – Sounds logical, right? Start by checking to make sure that your coolant system is properly protected with the right amount and mixture of anti-freeze. The only way to be sure is to get the coolant system flushed and re-filled before the first freeze hits the local area. You can also have the technician check for leaks at this time.
- Windshield Wipers – Inspect your wiper blades to see if they are worn, cracked or peeling. If they are doing any of the above, replace them immediately with fresh blades. At this time, you should also replace your summer wiper fluid with a winterized version that contains an anti-freeze ingredient. You can get these fluids at your local LaCava auto parts store.
- Heater/Defroster – Take time to ensure that your vehicle’s heater and defroster are working correctly. Ensure that heat is blowing out of each vent, that there aren’t any leaks, and that the defroster is working as it should.
- Electrical/Battery – Get your battery checked at a trusted Fall River, MA car parts store. Replace the battery if necessary. Check the connections to make sure that they are clean and free from corrosion. Your vehicle’s charging system is under a lot of stress in cold weather, so it is more important than ever to check it before the cold weather hits.
- Check Engine Oil – One thing that you might not know is that below freezing temperatures can affect 30-weight single viscosity oil, especially in older vehicles. Visit your local auto supply in Fall River to get a lower viscosity oil, such as a 10-weight. Speak with a staff member to learn more about how changing your oil in the winter can make a big difference in the life of your car. Newer vehicles use multi-viscosity oils, such as a 10/30 weight oil.
- Transmission Fluid – Similar to engine oil, transmission fluid will not be able to properly lubricate your vehicle in freezing temperatures. It is important to choose a fluid that will be able to protect your vehicle during winter weather.
- Tires – Make sure that your tires are in good enough condition to last through the winter. Change your summer tires out to winter tires for better traction. Understand how tires work in the winter. A phenomenon known as “square tires” can occur when the air in your tires cools and the tires appear to go flat overnight. Once you begin to drive the air recirculates inside the tire, your tires will go back to normal.
Create a Winter Road Kit
Even if you are just doing short trips around the local area, it is important to collect emergency supplies from your local auto supply in Fall River that will help keep you safe. A flashlight and extra batteries, along with flares, can be used to signal other vehicles and get help, if need be. A battery or hand-crank operated radio, matches, candles and a back-up lighter, are all very helpful items to include as well. Two bags of sand can be used to provide traction behind tires if you get stuck in the snow and ice, and a camping shovel is great for digging out stuck cars.
Think about your comfort and safety as well. Consider packing a change of clothes, extra socks, extra shoes or boots, a sleeping bag that is rated for freezing temperatures, and extra blankets. A first aid kit should always be kept stocked and safe inside your vehicle and in the winter, make sure that you have food items, such as energy bars or whole grain snacks, along with water bottles, in case of an emergency. A small tool kit that contains jumper cables, bungee cord, a car jack and basic screwdrivers and wrenches, should also be on board.
Visit LaCava Brothers Auto Supply in Fall River
Whenever you need any type of Fall River, MA car parts and services for your vehicle, come to LaCava auto parts on Bedford Street. Our team can provide you with rotor turning services, hydraulic hose services, as well as other essential services to help prepare your car for any type of weather or conditions. Give us a call at 508-676-1951 or stop by and visit our shop to get all the parts you need to keep your car safe and on the road this winter.