One of the most expensive things about owning your own car is having to do major repairs. However, it has been proven that if you keep up with regular maintenance and services, you seriously reduce your risk of having a sudden, unexpected repair that causes your vehicle to break down and put it out of commission. Basic DIY auto repairs and services need to be done regularly, such as changing the oil, checking the tires, replacing belts and batteries, checking and refilling coolant, replacing spark plugs and brake pads – if you have a good source for car parts and accessories, a little know-how and determination, you can get all the help you need from your local auto parts store.
LaCava Auto Parts in Fall River, MA has a wide selection of car parts and accessories that you can use to make minor to major repairs on your vehicle. Our team can help you find the right tools and equipment, as well as parts and fluids, to ensure that you get the job done right. We also have a variety of professional services, designed to help you get the most out of your vehicle. Rotor turning, which can help breathe new life into worn brake rotors when you replace your brake pads, and 24-hour emergency hydraulic hose services, are provided to customers and commercial businesses in the local area.
What Do You Need?
If you are just getting started with DIY auto repair, you will want to head down to the local auto parts store and start stocking your tool kit. Some of the most common tools that you will need include a set of pliers, a variety of sizes of Philips and flat head screwdrivers, an adjustable wrench, a torque wrench, a ratchet and socket set, and a car jack. Your vehicle will usually come with a basic jack that can be used to change tires on the side of the road. If you are going to be doing vehicle maintenance at home in your driveway or garage, speak with an agent at LaCava Auto Parts about what type of jack would best suit your needs.
Make sure that you choose good quality tools that have a solid grip. Hefty handles are a sign of a long-lasting tool. You will also need to get some basic parts in order to complete the work. This should be done as-needed. However, you can stock up parts and things that you use on a regular basis when you visit the auto parts in Fall River, MA. Oil, oil filters, windshield wiper fluid, windshield wipers, coolant and other items that you will use frequently can be purchased ahead of time and stored safely in your garage or shed. Make sure to take note of local regulations regarding storage of these materials and disposal of old oil and oil filters.
Typical Parts That Require Maintenance
When it comes time to start doing your own auto repairs at home, it pays to know which parts need replacing the most. It is important to know a bit about your car engine, what goes where, what does what, and have a basic understanding about how your car operates. If you have any questions, stop by LaCava auto parts and ask one of our friendly agents about car parts and accessories for your repair. As the premier auto parts store in Fall River, we are happy to help you make these common repairs on your own. It not only gives you a feeling of satisfaction in knowing that you took care of it by yourself, but it also helps to save money in the long run.
Some of the most common car parts and accessories that require repair include:
- drive belt – controls accessories in your vehicle, such as the cooling system, power steering, battery charging and windshield wipers; older cars have multiple belts for each system, but newer cars use what is known as a serpentine belt that winds around the engine to all of the primary systems
- serpentine belt – due to the complexity of this type of belt, reaching around to all of the major systems within your vehicle, many car owners are intimidated about changing this belt; ask an agent at your auto parts in Fall River, MA about tips for changing this belt or recommendations to a quality mechanic who could do it for you
- battery – one of the easiest parts to change, just visit your auto parts store to ensure that you get the right size and type of battery; check to see if you can get a rebate for your old one
- alternator – if your battery is good and your car still won’t start, it is probably the alternator; this can be tested with a multi-meter, which can be purchased at your auto parts store, to find out if it isn’t working; visit LaCava auto parts to get the right part for your vehicle
- brake pads – a built-in indicator tells you when your brake pads need replacing, such as a squeaking or squealing sound whenever you apply the brakes; if you hear a scraping or grinding noise, chances are that you will need to replace the rotor or get rotor turning services as well
Visit La Cava Auto Parts in Fall River, MA
If you are interested in learning more about doing DIY repairs or are in need of quality car parts and accessories, visit our auto parts store located in Fall River, Massachusetts, LaCava Auto Parts has been serving the local South Coast community for over 70 years. Give us a call at 508-676-1951 or stop by our location on Bedford Street in Fall River.