Most drivers know that it is important to get their vehicles ready for fall and winter driving, but there are a lot that don’t know about the benefits of preparing their vehicles for spring and summer driving. There is a big difference in the type of driving that we do between the seasons and after your personal car or truck has been through a long New England winter, the least you can do is treat it to a car “spa day” at LaCava Auto Supply in Fall River. LaCava Auto Parts has all of the maintenance supplies, car parts and accessories you need to get your car ready to hit the road. LaCava also provides free battery testing in Fall River and free installation of windshield wiper blades with the purchase of a new pair.
Even if you don’t have a lot of experience performing maintenance on your own vehicle, the team at LaCava Auto Parts can help walk you through it. We carry top rated national brand name car parts and accessories to help you get the job done right. While some tasks are definitely best left to the professionals, there are quite a few maintenance services that you can do on your own to save time and money. Plus, there’s that awesome feeling you get when you know you fixed a problem or took care of your car on your own.
Depending on the age of your vehicle, you may still be performing schedule maintenance according to the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations. Today’s vehicles require a lot less maintenance than they used to in the past, so a lot of the work is just items that need to be checked instead of replaced. Many of the vehicles built today won’t even require replacement of essential car parts and accessories, such as timing belts, transmission fluid, antifreeze and spark plugs until the engine hits 100,000 miles or more. Before you hit that milestone, there are some basic tasks that should still be performed before you hit the road for a family vacation.
- TIRES – You should get in the habit of checking your tires on a regular basis. The inflation of your tires contributes significantly to the fuel economy of your vehicle and also helps you to handle your car better in bad weather or around tight curves. Check the pressure of your tires once a month and before long trips. Visually inspect your tires regularly and stay on top of warranty information to ensure that your tires are not so old that they should be replaced.
- COOLING SYSTEM – Mechanics say that the number one cause of breakdowns is overheating engines and coolant problems. Unfortunately, most cooling system problems come from air flow issues around the radiator, so it pays to take time to check under the hood. After a long fall and winter season you might be surprised to see all of the pine needles, twigs, leaves and other debris that can get pulled up into the radiator fins and condenser for the air conditioner.
- RADIATOR CAP – Check the radiator cap when you do your spring maintenance to make sure that the internal rubber gasket isn’t damaged, hardened or cracked. The metal spring can also become weakened. Experts say you should replace your radiator cap every five years.
- GAS CAP – Another cap that should be checked regularly is your gas cap. This is one of those car parts and accessories that is extremely important to the operation and function of your vehicle. It is part of your emission control system and if it does not create an air tight seal, the check engine or emissions services lights will come on, requiring service. Look for any cracks, hardening or damage to the gasket. If something doesn’t look right, replace it when it doubt.
- OIL CHANGES – Perform your oil changes regularly and don’t forget to check the oil levels before big trips just to make sure you don’t have any problems. Check your vehicle’s owner manual to see when they recommend oil changes. You might be surprised that the intervals are less frequent than the oil and lube shop tells you. However, if you do a lot of driving on a day to day basis, you may want to step up your oil changes more frequently.
- WINDSHIELD WIPERS – After dealing with snow, rain, ice, sleet and other typical New England weather conditions, your windshield wipers have taken a beating. Come to LaCava Auto Parts for brand new wipers and we will install them for you free if you buy a pair. Check your wash fluid reservoir as well to make sure that you have enough cleaning fluid before you go on a trip.
- LIGHTING – You should perform a check of your car’s headlights, brake lights, turn signals and other important lighting on a regular basis, but especially before you head out on a big trip. Make sure all the lights work and that there aren’t any wiring or fuse issues that could cause a failure. Check the terminals of your car’s battery for corrosion and make sure that the connections are clean and properly hooked up. Bring your battery in to LaCava Auto Supply. Our team will help you check your lighting and we even do free battery testing in Fall River.
Come to LaCava Auto Supply in Fall River
If you need car parts and accessories, maintenance fluids and tools, or free battery testing in Fall River, look no further than LaCava Auto Parts. Our team can help you find everything you need to get your car up and running, and ready for the spring and summer driving season. Give us a call at 508-676-1951 or stop by our location on Bedford Street in Fall River, MA.